Write your search here
  • FAQs
  • Services
  • Contact Us
  • Help & Advice

What should I do if I’m hit by an untraced or uninsured driver?

Minster Law

Page Fallback

If you are the victim of a hit and run there will be very little you can do at the scene of the accident in terms of gathering information. However, you must inform the police as soon as possible due to the likelihood of the car being stolen or uninsured.

An uninsured driver may be reluctant to give you any details and, even if the driver sticks around, there’s no guarantee you’ll be able to get any information from them.  What you can do in both circumstances is gather as much information as you can at the scene of the accident:

  • Take images on your mobile phone
  • Record a description of the driver
  • Ask for contact details of any witnesses
  • Take down the make, model, colour, and number plate details of the other car involved if possible
  • Inform the police of the crash and let them know the driver is uninsured or untraced
  • Inform your insurance company of the accident